How to Use a VPN on a PS4 or PS5
Improve your PlayStation gaming experience
PS4 is one of the most popular gaming platforms in the world. It remains in the spotlight even after the advent of PS5, though partially due to supply shortages. With all the advantages PlayStation 4 offers, you might wonder – do I really need a VPN for it? Let’s talk about a few legit reasons why you do:
- A VPN may help you stay undetected while playing. Choosing a VPN that uses powerful encryption can protect your PS4 from third parties and snooping internet service providers.
- A VPN can prevent DDoS attacks. Such invasions usually target a specific IP address. A VPN hides your IP, so a DDoS attack would target a VPN’s server, which in most cases has advanced anti-DDoS protection.
How to set up a VPN on a PS4
You can set up a VPN on a PS4 console in two ways. These instructions will also work for PS5 consoles.
1. Set up a VPN directly on your internet router (the instructions might slightly vary depending on your router):
- Make sure your router supports VPNs.
- Log in to the router’s control panel.
- Find a VPN section and configure it according to the VPN service provider’s instructions.
- Connect your PS4 to an established VPN network.
2. Set up a VPN on your computer and connect a PS4 to it (this method works on Windows devices only):
- Download and install a VPN on your computer.
- Connect a PS4 to your computer via an ethernet cable.
- Change the connection settings on your VPN – go to Control Panel and right-click on Internet Access.
- Find Network and Internet Settings and click Change adapter.
- Find your VPN adapter and right-click on it. Select Properties and choose Sharing tab at the top.
- Click on the box next to “Allow network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection”
- Set up a connection on your PS4: go to the settings menu and click Network Settings.
- After setting up the connection, choose LAN cable and select Easy setup. PS4 should handle all the rest.
You can also share a VPN connection via a mobile hotspot. Find more information about this method here. It’s available on Windows devices only.
How to choose a VPN for a PS4 or PS5
- Router compatibility. You should check router compatibility before buying a VPN.
- A large number of servers ensures that the user can choose the desired location and have better speeds (due to lower load on servers).
- A variety of different VPN protocols. Gaming requires high speeds, obviously. So with the option to choose from a couple of VPN protocols, you’ll have a better chance of a fast gaming experience.
- Avoid free VPNs. Often enough, they have slow speeds and a low number of servers to select from. They can also pose a threat to your privacy.
One of the best VPNs for PS4
We strongly recommend our partner, NordVPN. It is a twice-audited no-logs service. So your gaming activity will always be private.
Also, NordVPN has its own WireGuard-based protocol called NordLynx. It allows users to enjoy the highest possible speeds a VPN can offer. In addition, NordVPN has over 5,200 servers in 59 countries. NordVPN will choose the fastest server in a selected country when you connect.
Ultimately, it’s a continuously updated service with a 24/7 customer support team and a knowledge base full of in-depth explanations.
What is Threat Protection?
Threat Protection is a new NordVPN feature that steps beyond VPN protection. It provides safer browsing by blocking malicious websites, ads, and trackers. This feature can also identify files infected with malware.